It has been revealed that the running costs of the Scottish Parliament in the past year amounted to £72 million.
For the financial year ending on 31 March 2009, the total revenue expenditure of the Scottish Parliament was £72 million. This figure is made up of:
• administration and property running costs for the Parliament of £19.3 million
• parliamentary staff salaries of £24.7 million
• MSP salaries of £10.4 million
• Members' costs (which enable the MSPs to obtain staff and accommodation to help them carry out their parliamentary duties) of £10.5 million.
• funding for the salaries and running costs of the Commissioners and Ombudsman of £7.1 million.