Sunday, 22 February 2009

Edinburgh Permit Charges

I see the lentil bake loving Greens have introduced higher parking permit charges for 'gas guzzlers'.

On one hand I can see the point. I'm always amazed at the amount of shiny new 'Chelsea Tractors' that are driven in Edinburgh. Trying to get to work in the morning can be like driving through the set of Stepford Wives when you go past a school. The irony is of course that most of the city dwelling 4x4 owners have never driven a vehicle off road before in their lives and a wee bit mud on their expensive wagons would induce a fit of the vapours in them.

There's no question that these things produce more pollution than smaller vehicles, but that said, what about those on low incomes with old cars with large engines that they can't afford to replace? This is especially pertinant in times like these and I'd hate to think that anyone who is struggling financially already might be hit with higher charges by the 'holier than thou' eco warriors.

3 comments:

1st Lady said...

Well dang, there's goes my plans to bid on one of the Lothian Buses that's on the auction block.

Talking as an ex Land Rover Discovery owner, I have to say that raising permit charges would not put me off owning such a vehicle, it would just make me a little mad (mad as in upset, not mad as in insane...) I dont see this helping to "reduce the carbon dioxide emissions that are causing climate change" as quoted from the article.

Stuart Winton said...

"The irony is of course that most of the city dwelling 4x4 owners have never driven a vehicle off road before in their lives..."

Except, of course, when they're on the pavement!

Jim said...

good point Stuart!