Saturday, 6 December 2008

Knife Certificate

Next week, I am being presented with my Knife Combat Instructors Certificate. Though I have taught one or two different martial arts styles in my time, I have no intention of ever teaching knife combat.

First of all, I appreciate that there are some who would not approve of this. There are some indeed, who will try and twist this presentation for political means.

That said, I have campaigned for quite a long time now on curbing knife carrying, especially amongst younger people. The training that I have undergone in the martial arts over the past twenty years in general, and the edged weapons training I have undergone in the past few years, coupled with a few real life experiences, have led me to have a far greater understanding of the issue than many others who claim to know the answers to knife crime.

It is all of the above which has informed my argument against carrying a blade, and whilst it may seem unorthodox, thinking 'out of the box' is no bad thing. I will continue to do everything possible to curb knife carrying, simply because I am acutely aware of the dangers of carrying a blade and the profound, and wide ranging impact of using one.

3 comments:

Fox In Detox said...

I totally agree with you. Knives are totally dangerous. Which reminds me...will they let me bring my gun to Scotland? I have a permit. It's up to date, and everything.

Jim said...

Hmmmm, that may prove to be a little difficult for you Fox.........

;-)

1st Lady said...

Firstly well done with the certificate and this campaign you have against knife carrying is very worthwhile!