Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Banking Crisis

Where did Alex Salmond go? During the first round of the banking crisis in Scotland, we got the usual bombast from the First Minister. It was all down to 'Spivs' and speculators he claimed. According to him it would be different in a free Scotland of course. Money would be pulled out from some unknown source (the same place I presume that the money will come from to pay for free school meals), all would be well as long as Scotland was free.

Then some of his advisors were found to be of the short selling Spiv variety, and he went a bit quiet. The countries to whom he most often compares and contrasts with Scotland are suffering the same, if not more than anywhere else.

And then it looked grim for RBS. People have come to realise (including myself) just how worldwide and severe this crisis is and Salmond went beyond a 'bit quiet'. Where now his solutions to the problem?

Today, instead of the bluster and bombast, instead of more alternative solutions that we saw mooted earlier, Salmond has welcomed the Westminster proposals.

I would have expected more from him.

6 comments:

BSH said...

Initially I believe he complained he wanted a 'substantial interest rate cut' then there was a 0.5% cut and he said 'this is a welcome start but will not help the banks really'.

According to the BBC anyhoos.

Fox In Detox said...

I wish I knew more about what you write about. I feel like the kid at the grownups table. Listening, and not knowing what the freak they're talking about. I do love your writing though... :o)

Jim said...

True enough BSH, but I was referring to his performance at First Ministers Question Time.

J

Jim said...

Hey Fox,

I have to say you're a much better writer than I am. Your writing style is streets ahead of mine. I wish I had more time to do it.

I have maybe been doing a bit too much of the political posting recently. I need to get out more :-)

J

1st Lady said...

"I have maybe been doing a bit too much of the political posting recently. I need to get out more :-)"

Nay comment....

Jim said...

Harrumph........