Wednesday, 16 July 2008

'Beauty Pageants'

As I'm still suffering from my usual insomnia, I was watching a programme last night on how beauty pageants have migrated from the USA to the UK, although I only caught the tail end of it.

On one level, I think these things are utterly anachronistic in this day and age, but on another level, I'm amazed that any parent would even think of dressing up a young child as an adult (some of the 13 year olds could could easily have walked into a bar and bought a drink by the time they were dressed and made up), plastering them in adult style make up and training them to walk in a certain way on stage. Not being a parent myself, perhaps I'm wrong of course.

Some of the parents seemd utterly driven in their desire to see their kids win, whilst the kids themselves seemed to have little choice in the matter, and goodness knows how much was spent on the costumes etc (there was a prize for 'the best dress' for example).

One parent when interviewed came out with a statement I found quite telling. She revealed, with a big grin, that if her thirteen year old daughter was invited to an MTV party, then she would have have to go too.

Is this the way we really want kids to grow up? Forcing them to enter competitions to see who is best dressed and best looking is, in my view, hardly constructive when we need to demonstrate to them the importance of seeing beyond an individual's appearance.

This is one American import I really hope never, ever catches on over here.

5 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Was that the show about the 11 year old British girl who's mother took her to the USA to participate in a pageant? Disturbing on so many levels!
I wonder if the British equivalent is the Rose Queens or Carnival Princesses which used to be obligatory at any local fete or church fair? That seems to have died out these days.
BG

1st Lady said...

I had a programme about this on in the background the other night, not sure if it was the same one. It was about a UK family taking their daughter to a US competition. I dont agree with doing this to children at all.

Jim said...

Hi BG,

I missed most of the programme but, may well have been the same one. I'm amazed anyone would spend money participating in this nonsense.

Jim said...

1st L,

I just don't get the idea behind this at all. The way some of the kids were made up was at best disturbing!

Fox In Detox said...

Oh my gosh, you have no idea... You definitely don't want it to catch on over there. Down south, pageants are big. Mother's spend every last penny of the family fortune on hair, makeup, and outfits for their FOUR YEAR OLDS! It's scary. Why would you want your CHILD to look and act like a full grown BARBIE DOLL. Disturbing doesn't even begin to describe it.