Wednesday, 4 June 2008

West Coast

It was girlfriend's Father's birthday on Saturday, and her parents anniversary on Sunday, so girlfriend had booked a lodge over at Tralee Bay near Oban for the weekend.

Now, I am utterly notorious for my complete lack of sense of direction, but strangely, I managed to get from Arbroath to Tralee Bay without getting lost once. To be honest, you would have to know me quite well to appreciate just how amazing this feat is, but no-one was more surprised when I turned up on time than myself (apart from girlfriend who keeps going on about it). By the time Saturday morning came, I really couldn't face the drive over (the AA route finder had it down at just over three hours), but consequences of NOT driving over were undoubtedly worse, so I bit the bullet and went.

I'm glad I did. The weather was great, the scenery for the drive was magnificent, and after an hour or two of being there, I was considerably more relaxed than I had been for a while.

At night we had dinner at the Oyster Inn, and the meal was outstanding. It's a place I'd certainly recommend if you are in that neck of the woods.

It was a great weekend, and I enjoyed the company of her parents, and even the lengthy drive back didn't phase me too much.

It's a place I'd be more than happy to visit again.

4 comments:

Fox In Detox said...

Cheers to you for finding your way! I have a question..if you were going to visit Scotland for the very first time and only had 8 days...what would you want to see and where would you want to stay?

Jim said...

Hey Fox,

Well, depends on what you like really. Off the top of my head though, I guess Edinburgh is a must, and there is a lot to see here, such as the castle and the Scottish Crown Jewels. You can get a good night out at the same time. If you are a fan of the Da Vinci Code, then Roslyn Chapel is not too far from Edinburgh and is a fascinating place.

Glasgow has very vibrant shopping, and is also good at night too. It has a fabulous museum and also the Burrell Collection which has everything from ancient Egyptian artefacts through to medieval armour and tapestries.

A lot of people like the dramatic scenery of the west (but not the biting insects!).

There are any number of churches,abbeys and castles to go round if you like any of these things.

I haven't been to Inverness for a good few years, but as it is known as the capital of the highlands, it is a popular destination for visitors.


Personally, I'd look at getting off the beaten track a little bit. If you have any ideas, let me know and I'll try and be more in-depth.

J

Fox In Detox said...

I LOVE castles. I can spend days wandering around castles and ruins and never be bored. I'm going to check into a few things myself. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions.

Thanks Jim!

-Fox

Jim said...

Someone that loves castles and ruins! Excellent! I used to be the Manager of Arbroath Abbey, its a ruined 12th century place, and I loved working there.

If you are planning on visiting a few sites owned by Historic Scotland, then you can buy a week long pass that gets you into them all for free. You can save some money that way.

When are you planning on coming over?