Friday, 13 June 2008

David Davies Resigns

Well, I don't think many people saw that one coming!

Shadow Home Secretary David Davies resigned over the 42 day detention decision.

When I first heard about it, it was described as something of a master stroke. Now that the media appear to have taken a different view,the Lib Dems have refused to field a candidate, and Labour have described the whole thing as a stunt its starting to look a bit lame.

I agree with his view about the erosion of civil liberties in the UK. People are justifiably concerned at what seems to be an ever increasing interest in their daily lives.

On the face of it, with Cameron riding high in the polls and Brown at an all time low, Davies' resignation seemed to be a safe enough thing to to do. Yet I suspect Mr Davies may not come out of this covered in glory to be honest, especially now that the Sun's Kelvin Mackenzie seems poised to challenge Davies, it all seems to have gone a tad bizarre.

I suspect Mr Davies will be re-elected. He is popular locally. But, I also suspect that this by election will distract the media and do a little more damage than we might have thought.

2 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

It is all very odd. It seemed to me yesterday as though this was actually a stand for principles which the media are so disdainful of they've had to make it into something else. BG

Jim said...

I know BG. Perhaps its been such a long time since we have seen a genuine, principled stand that we become suspicious of it. Time will tell I think..........