Thursday, 10 April 2008

Some Days..........

Yesterday started off badly. Having slept in a bit, I stumbled from my bed to the bathroom. As I locked the door, the handle of the bolt came off in my hand. The bolt itself is metal, but the handle is plastic.

I was therefore locked in. The door itself opens in the way, so putting my shoulder to it was not an option. After spending a not inconsiderable amount of time trying utilise any bathroom festoonery that I could lay my hands on to get out (including at one point, my toothbrush) I settled on the idea of tying a towel to the door handle and trying to pull the door open that way. I have to say that whoever screwed the bolt to the door frame was determined it should never come off. It was a credit to his or her work that it took quite so bloody long burst the lock.

Being even more late, I quickly got dressed and jumped in the car to go to a 9am meeting in Forfar. Had I leased the Audi A4 cabriolet that I was going to, I would have made much better time. Instead, having purchased a 1500cc Nissan Almerra, even with my foot to the floor, it seemed I was going no faster than the speed of an arthritic sloath carrying some heavy shopping. The time spent in the car was not wasted however. Oh no. I used it to concoct a variety of excuses as to why I was late. None of them involved me being locked in the bathroom.

I should have known something was up when I arrived at the council offices as it was so easy to get a parking space. When I got inside, I realised I was not actually late. I was early. A whole day early in fact.

I did some work and drove to Carnoustie for a meeting with Boss and a shop owner. When I got there, I discovered shop owner was accompanied by a Public Affairs officer. The same Public Affairs officer that I was engaged to up until last year.

Great.

Some days your the dog, other days your the lampost............

8 comments:

1st Lady said...

This is just too funny.

Jim said...

you're not supposed to laugh at other people's misfortunes 1st L ;-)

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Ouch, that's one hell of a bad day. Sorry, I laughed too. Quite alot.
Nissan almera? That's funny ;) BG

Jim said...

That's OK BG. In week or two I'll laugh about it myself........

:-)

Mrs Boss said...

I am going to write a book on your adventures Jim. ......

On second thoughs, best not eh?

Jim said...

Hello Mrs Boss,

Pity I hadn't started off this blog as the diary of an anonymous cooncillor. Now that might have been an amusing read by now!

1st Lady said...

Will the book be similar to Mills and Boons? I'd like a signed copy please...

Jim said...

I don't think the story of my adventures over the past two years would be suitable material for Mills and Boon I think!