Friday, 18 April 2008

Armour

It's been a while since I put on any of my armour, but I'm getting more enthusiastic about it with the Viking event looking more and more likely. I have commissioned a new Norman helm which will arrive from the armourer in time for August and I have ordered small plates which I will thread together to make 'lamellar' armour to fit over my chain mail.

I have sensible reasons for doing this. The last time I took part in combat wearing armour, it was against a group of people from the west coast. All in all, I was in a pretty good situation. I had a full harness of 15th century armour on and the guy next to me was wearing my other full armour. As we charged across the field, gaining momentum as we went, I slipped on the wet grass and went my length. Now you may have seen films where knights who have been knocked down cannot get up again because of the weight of their armour. This is a myth, with well articulated armour, its pretty easy to do, even easier once you are used to wearing it. I have found that it only becomes more difficult when you have a group of Glaswegians standing on you and hitting you with sticks.

Another time, I was invited to attend a museum open day in armour and give talks on medieval combat. Having been strapped into the armour, my so called friends covered me in tropical fish fridge magnets, which I was unable to remove. How we laughed.

Anyway, below are pictures of me in armour from three different periods. The top one is 16th century, the middle one 15th century and the bottom one early 14th century.



7 comments:

1st Lady said...

Super photos!

The Supplicant said...

Well Jim, I must say I'm impressed. I'd love to have a full suit. Do you own these? If so they must have cost a pretty penney. I'm jealous. I also find it interesting that you don't find them heavy, but I would suppose you can get used to them quickly if they are well articulated like you say.
Great shots!
~JD

Jim said...

Hi JD,

Yes I do own them and I had them made for me.

My next commission is a slightly earlier harness based on the famous Avant armour in Glasgow. If you're ever up my way let me know and I'd be happy to let you try them on!

Cheers,

Jim

The Supplicant said...

Hi Jim
I certainly do appreciate the offer. Maybe one day I'll take you up on it :-)
You'll have to take pics of the new suit when you get it. I would love to see it.
Take care.
~JD

The Supplicant said...

BTW Jim
I've reopened my site. It's at http://thesupplicant.blogspot.com
Feel free to visit when you have the time.

Take care.
~JD

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim

Great photos. I think more Scots should have medieval armour and TENTS!

The Ninjette

Jim said...

Well Anonymous, funny you should mention medieval tents as I have a particularly impressive medieval pavilion that I use at events......