Sunday, 6 January 2008

The Zoo.............

Girlfriend wanted to visit the zoo the other day, so we went along. I have avoided Edinburgh zoo for years for a variety of reasons, including the amount of mail my boss got at work regarding the Polar Bear and the conditions it is kept in. Now I'll say at the outset that I have absolutely no experience in zoology whatsoever, and I have no problem listening to arguments for or against zoos' and I appreciate that they do good conservation work.

That said, I was pretty surprised at how small some of the enclosures were. Animals that by nature might be expected to cover many miles in a day, are kept in enclosures that are about twice the size of my sisters living room (ok it is a really big living room). About halfway through, I began to find the experience a little unsettling, and by the time we left I was quite saddened by the experience. I suppose the pretty dank weather didn't help.

Its a place I would never go back to.

2 comments:

Bear hugger said...

How would it be if the visiting kids were penned up and the animals free to wander around.

Oh no...some PC person will be down on me for that comment.

Jim said...

Actually, the way some of the kids were banging on the windows of the pens, it might be an idea.........