Thursday, 3 January 2008

Looking Back,Looking Forward

I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. I have taken time off from both jobs and I'm currently in Edinburgh for a few days.

I suppose its only natural at this time of year to reflect on the events of the past 12 months, and give some thought to what the new year may bring.

2007 has been a mercurial year for me. If someone had taken me to one side this time last year and outlined the events that would unfold for me on a personal level, I would have laughed in their face and told them not to be daft; and yet here I am.

In March my fiance and I parted company and the wedding which should have been in October was cancelled. The following election campaign in April perhaps distracted me from dealing with the issue as perhaps I should have. In April, my new girlfriend and I were in a car crash which saw my Dad's car a total write-off and me in casualty with back injuries.

I was stunned in May to be elected to the council, and even more stunned when all the opposition councillors formed an alliance and ousted the SNP after 23 years of control and I was appointed Convener of Neighbourhood Services and Chairman of the Licensing Board.

Since then, life has been hectic and demanding to say the least, trying to juggle my responsibilities and my personal life. Sometimes I do not succeed as well as I'd like.

What will 2008 hold? I have no idea, but I certainly hope it won't be as bloody dramatic as 2007.

6 comments:

Bill said...

but I certainly hope it won't be as bloody dramatic as 2007.


Well, in accordance with your wishes, may I wish that you NOT live in interesting times this year ;)

Calum Cashley said...

2008 - easy, more excellent government from the SNP, a few Labour party members getting their collars felt, Council Tax freeze and Business Rates cut by the SCottish Government and many more wonderful things.

Us nats always have all the answers!

Jim said...

Hi Bill, thanks for your kind comment. All the best to you for 2008.
Jim

Jim said...

2008 - easy, more excellent government from the SNP, a few Labour party members getting their collars felt, Council Tax freeze and Business Rates cut by the SCottish Government and many more wonderful things.

Us nats always have all the answers!

Aye, righto Calum! I'd be happy if you just kept the promises you guys made in your election manifesto, but thats' not looking likely!

That said, all the best to you for 2008. :-)

Calum Cashley said...

"Aye, righto Calum! I'd be happy if you just kept the promises you guys made in your election manifesto, but thats' not looking likely!"

Every single one will be kept Jim - and your lot will help with some of them, won't you?

See this consensus politics ...

Jim said...

Ahh, now I see how it works! You promise all manner of things in your election manifesto (wipe out student debt, 1000 coppers, that kind of thing), then, when you win and can't deliver you
a) blame Westminster
b) get everyone else to bail you out.

Interesting tactic! :-)