Monday, 22 October 2007

Post/stuff

I haven't had much time to post anything lately. The committee cycle kicked off again with the committee I convene being one of the first. It lasted for almost three and a half hours and saw some of the most appalling grandstanding and childish behaviour I think that chamber has ever witnessed. My only regret is that there were no members of the public there to see it. Strangely, the next committee I went to sailed along.

The Licensing Board meeting went OK this time, though it got a bit frenetic around half-way through.

I can genuinely now see why a) some people are attracted to getting themselves onto their local council (and staying there) and b) why some people try it and get sickened by the peurile 'Punch and Judy' behaviour that can be put on display there.

Sadly, my German Shepherd had to be put down. It had been coming for a while, but her condition had taken a sudden turn for the worst and there was no putting off the decision. I'm heartbroken to be honest. She was my second German Shepherd and they were both fantastic pets. I'll miss her terribly.

I have had quite a lot of constituents contacting me over the past few weeks. The vast majority are housing or housing related issues including anti-social behaviour or overcrowding. The cost of property in the area has shot up over the past couple of years. I think this has been made worse by the fact that my own home town, Arbroath, has a history of fairly modest house prices and the rising costs, which seem to be bringing it into line with other areas have made the escalation all the worse. The bottom line is we need more affordable housing for people, and that's not taking into account the amount of European migrants that the area is attracting, which is the subject of another study.

We did a bit of gardening yesterday, which I find to be more interesting than the other option of going walking (plus it means being closer to a kettle and other items of civilisation). I'm by no means a gardener and I suspect that I mistook a fair few plants for weeds. Still looked better by the time we had finished though.

No comments: