Wednesday, 10 October 2007

Pitlochry

We were supposed to be having the weekend in Aviemore, but only got as far as Pitlochry, and stayed in a nice hotel (albeit with a noisy pub across the road). Its amazing where you meet people you know. We bumped into three people from the Parliament and a chap and his wife from Arbroath. It was nice to potter round the area and we spent time in Dunkeld and got some walking done. I'm not convinced about the hill walking bit. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer going on longer walks through woods etc rather than walking up a hill. I know some people get a great sense of satisfaction from bagging Munro's etc, but it just doesn't do it for me at all.

The cycle of committee meetings starts again this week, and the Licensing Board also meets this month. I got a copy of the new Licensing Scotland Act and have been ploughing through it. If you suffer from insomnia, you could do worse than to get a copy for some bed-time reading.

I have taken some time off Parliament work, but due to the committee cycle, I'm not able to get a holiday from Council work unfortunately.

I have a meeting to discuss organising an event to celebrate the 830th Anniversary of the founding of Arbroath Abbey today. Given the importance of the abbey to Arbroath, I'd like to see a celebration of Arbroath's history with historical re-enactments, jousting and possibly lectures etc too.

All in all it will be another frantic few weeks.

No comments: