Tuesday, 18 September 2007

No hikes

I was somewhat relieved to get up on Sunday and see torrential rain as this excused me from hiking duties. The boots i'd bought had been initially left in the shop, then moved to the office and finally to Edinburgh for their first hike. So far, they have only made it onto my feet once and that was to try them on in the shop. As a consolation for not getting for a hike I took new girlfriend for a pub lunch which was expensive, and not particularly good (still better than being soaked on some hillside though). To be fair, I think once I get out there I'll enjoy it, but it's the getting out there that is the stumbling block.

I have, for reasons I'm not quite sure about, agreed to a charity boxing bout against a fellow councillor next year. I had agreed to this in the pub (I was quite 'relaxed' at this point) when he suggested it. I had of course not realised that his nose is the shape it is because he himself was an accomplished boxer a few years ago and his son is (I believe) on the national squad. Needless to say, my training so far has been somewhat erratic and if truth be known it has so far consisted of watching 'Rocky'. Having watched this, I'm not sure if the tactic of letting someone pummel me senseless whilst attempting to lure them into a false sense of security before fighting back with some previously untapped reserve of strength is a particularly good one. I suspect it's not.

Full council meeting on Thursday will no doubt be a 'blood on the walls' drama. Everything from flags to slipways are up for discussion and it will no doubt be a lengthy experience.

Tonight I have another meeting with licensees. This is the second of three I have organised for licensees throughout Angus. I have mentioned this before, and the last one went quite well, but having laid out the council's position on licensing (don't serve under-agers, don't serve drunks etc etc) after which everyone nodded sagely and agreed responsible licensing was the way forward, I walked into a pub to meet a friend and five minutes later two guys that were almost legless came in and were served drink by a guy who been at the meeting half an hour before! Worse, one of them wanted to kick off a fight. Nice one.

I hear that the office gossiper continues to take an interest in what I'm up to. Every office has one I guess and politics can be a nasty and spiteful game and so our office gossiper fits in with that quite nicely. I suppose if you having little else going on in your life then spiteful and nasty gossip tied in with cheap mail order wine will fill a gap.

2 comments:

Will said...

"I'm not sure if the tactic of letting someone pummel me senseless whilst attempting to lure them into a false sense of security before fighting back with some previously untapped reserve of strength is a particularly good one."

Have you considered spending the early part of the fight ducking?

I'm no expert, but that might come in handy.

Jim said...

Thanks Will, the tactic I described was the one used in Rocky. I don't think I'll utilise it, but your advice about ducking seems sound!