Friday, 6 July 2007

Pre Agenda Meeting

Tuesday will see me attend the 'Pre Agenda Meeting' for the Licensing Board. I was made chairman last time round and was pretty much thrown in at the deep end.

What made it worse, was yet again the behaviour of one or two councillors.

Don't get me wrong, I have worked full time in the Scottish Parliament for six years and I love the rough and tumble of politics, but the 'board' is a quasi judicial body, and for people to behave in a surly and childish way does nothing but make us all look bloody stupid.

I was approached by a licencee yesterday who said that local solicitors had been complaining about the behaviour of the aforementioned "Cooncillors".

At the end of the day, the board is not a political body. There are no points to be scored, no arguments to be won. The decisions the board makes affects peoples livelihoods and their ambitions and therefore it is pathetic to bahave in a way that seeks to use individuals as pawns in what was a very amateur game.

We won't be having that again.

No comments: