Monday, 23 July 2007

Golf

I'm not really a fan of golf, but I spent the weekend at the Open Championships in Carnoustie as a host at the Angus Council pavilion.

I don't think you actually have to like golf to enjoy the spectacle of the Open and the atmosphere was fantastic.

The cost of attending was fairly steep though at around £50 per day, plus £10 to park the car per day (my battered old volvo ended up sandwiched between a Bentley and a Merc). I took 'new girlfriend' for the final on Sunday and she had a fantastic time. I bought her what is essentially a T shirt that she liked and it cost me £30! There must have been plenty of money around though as the merchandise was flying off the shelves at a rate of knots. Come Sunday night there wasn't much to buy (thankfully at those prices).

At the end of the day though, there were a lot of very positive comments about Angus and many people had a very good experience of visiting the area. I hope many of them choose to return to Angus and play course themselves.

The infrastructure of the event was extraordinarily well organised from the roads/parking to the site itself. There were loads of stewards, staff and facilities on site and the experience, even for a non golfer like me was a fantastic one.

No comments: